Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, November 2, 2015

Killers

Grass-fed cattle on the Smith Meadows farm.
They're happy, right? Don't they look happy? 
We're all killers of one sort or another, unless maybe if you're a homeless vegan who doesn't pay any taxes, and I'm not too sure about that. Driving across the Western USA this summer, I realized we kill cattle. I've always known this of course. Where does hamburger come from, after all?  But it had kind of a dry, arbitrary feel. I've never killed a large animal myself. The closest I've ever been has been seeing it on TV. But they are alive and we kill them at our convenience and it doesn't bother us in the least, or most of us anyway,  perhaps because they are not very smart.
    We don't make meals out of predators like lions and tigers and bears for a number of reasons, like they are hard to manage, hard to propagate, hard to keep fed, and may not taste very good anyway. But I suspect it might be because we feel some kinship with them. Naw, we might respect them or even love them, but that won't keep us from killing them.
    Abortion might be a sin, but in my book it's a venial sin. I suspect that some people think we don't have enough people on this planet. I'm not one of them. If anything we have about hundred times more people than we need. If we are not careful, our every expanding population will lay waste to the our entire planet and we will all be reduced to eating a one bowl of plankton soup a day.
    Remember, the best defense is a good offense.

1 comment: