Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Your Very Own, Personal, Internet


Caitlin Dewey has an amusing story about internet personalization on The Washington Post. Her description of what an algorithm does is a little weak, but hey, we can't all be computer scientists.
    I ran into this problem this morning. There was plane crash in Hiroshima, so I wanted to take a look at the airport. I pull up Google Maps, zoom way out, pan across to Japan and zoom in until Hiroshima appears. Now I ask for 'airport'. It shows me several, but not the Hiroshima airport. Make a more specific request and it takes me back to Oregon. Fuss with it and eventually I get the Hiroshima airport. Okay, what about all those other airports in this region? What happened to them? Cannot get Google to show them to me for love or money. Stupid Google.
Via Indiana Thomas.

No comments: