Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Heat Sink


The boys put together a couple of computers, but the heat sinks would not attach properly so they were not making good contact with the CPU chips. Poor contact means poor heat conduction, which means the CPUs get hot which triggers the internal temperature sensors to slow down the clock. Well, the last thing we want is a slow CPU. I could have spent $50 and bought a different heat sink, but I decided to see if I could make this one work. I had the nuts and bolts, but I had to buy the aluminum bar stock ($3 or some such at Lowes). I was thinking I would need two bars, but the top one is superfluous, so I took it off. The heat sink has an internal spring. When you push down on it you can feel it give.
    The original mounting hardware for this device were these complicated plastic widgets. I suspect they may have been missing some springs, but it was a little hard to tell just how they were supposed to work.
    Works fine.

No comments: