Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Mini-ITX Motherboard Computer Case

I am trying to resurrect my son's hackintosh. Everything was fine and then a pop-up told him an update was available and, without thinking, he said yes, and that was the end of that.
    He has it setup in a cardboard box, which is fine as long as the none of the power supply lines develop a short. I'm thinking there could be a better arrangement so I started looking around to see what was available. The Mini-ITX motherboard is about 6.7 inches square (that's six point seven) and even with the cooling fan on the CPU it is only a couple of inches tall, so I'm thinking that with a power supply and a hard disk drive I should be able to stuff this thing in an eight inch cube. If I can find one, which I can't.
    I'm looking around and I stumble over this cool time lapse video of  the installation of a large injection molding machine (that's for some values of 'cool'. Your mileage may vary.)


Kind of makes those Science Fiction movies with all their mysterious hoses and do-dads look simplistic, but it doesn't really help me with my problem. Then I stumble over this video. Normally I don't like to give bad examples any press, but this one is exceptional as a technology demonstrator.


We have a synthetic voice narrating and computerized speech recognition generating the subtitles, at least that's what I surmise. Presumably they fed their speech program a script to read. If you have the text, why wouldn't you use that for the subtitles? Perhaps they were enamored of the technology. Why enter the subtitles when you can simply press the 'automatically add subtitles' button?
     There's also the purpose of the video, which is to show you the best compact cases, but then they proceed to show you the biggest cases made for this form-factor, ones that will accommodate multiple hard disks, extra large video cards, extra large power supplies and even water cooling. I thought the whole point was to be compact. While these boxes are smaller than a conventional tower, they are not compact.

No comments: