Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, April 4, 2014

Lotus Motorcycle


Lotus introduced this in February of this year. I think it's kind of cool looking. Then I read that it has a 200 horsepower, 1200 cc V-twin engine. Wait a minute, did they partner up with Harley-Davidson? Because the engine that powers the Harley-Davidson Electra-Glide is also a 1200 cc V-twin, although I don't think Harley claims 200 horsepower. I do a little poking around and I find that Lotus is using the engine from a KTM Superbike.


The cylinders in this engine appear to be close to 90 degrees apart. The Harley's cylinders are separated by 45 degrees. This engine is watercooled while Harleys are air cooled, and this engine is turbocharged, which explains how they are able to get 200 horsepower out of it.
    Lotus is asking $130,000 for their new toy. They only plan on building 100 of them this year, and they are already oversold. Says something about the economy, though I am not sure what.

P.S. I don't recall having heard of KTM before, but that's probably because I don't follow motorcycling that closely.

1 comment:

Ole Phat Stu said...

The KTM Super Duke 1290cc roadgoing naked bike claims 180 bhp, but the press could only find 165-172 of them. It is normally aspirated, no turbocharger. Good traction control and ABS, dynamic damping keep it rideable.
It is geared too long for a naked bike though. The BMW1000S naked bike with only 160 hp accelerates better because it is geared shorter.